Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Practice Practice Practice!


I have been on the lacrosse team for a couple weeks now, and still feel like I haven’t gotten the hang of it. Catching, throwing, guarding, running, scoring: the list of skills to acquire goes on and on. Despite this, the game is fun to play. The first two weeks of practice revolved around ball handling. We learned how to do line drills, which is when we throw the ball in a variety of ways while running. This is a very hard thing to do, requiring accuracy of throwing as well as placing yourself in front of the ball in time to catch it with the stick. The stick consists of a handle, called a shaft, which is made from a light alloy metal, and is usually about three feet in length. The head is the portion of the stick used for catching, and has ten to twelve leather thongs tied together to form the pocket, which is where the ball is held. The ball is a solid rubber ball about two inches in diameter.

I am not sure what all the rules are, because there are so many! I also don’t really know the positions involved with an actual game since we have just practiced basic stick and ball handling skills so far. I have learned the basics of defending however, so I am hopeful that I will get to play in our first tournament, which is held in College Station in two weeks. I am excited to play my first lacrosse game ever, and I am very happy that I decided to join the TU Women’s Lacrosse Team! (Picture from Smarter N.p., 2009. Web. 6 Oct. 2009 .)

No comments:

Post a Comment